I’ve always admired the creativity of other bakers, especially when it comes to sugar cookies. I can spend hours looking at their creations and take pleasure in seeing the intricate details on each cookie they’ve made. Each one starts off as a blank canvas and later becomes a work of art. The best part about these masterpieces is that they are edible and let me tell you…they are delicious!
The extensive amount of time that I spent looking at cookie creations led me to start making some of my own. I will be the first to admit, that my cookies look no where near as amazing as the ones that I’ve seen on Instagram, Pinterest, or YouTube. But you know what they say, practice makes perfect and when it comes to decorating sugar cookies…A LOT of practice is involved.
Despite the time spent practicing, making sugar cookies are a lot of fun and really gets your creative juices flowing. You can even take a cookie cutter and use its shape to adapt it and make something fun and unique.
For Easter, I really wanted to make sugar cookies. I spent a lot of time thinking about what shape I wanted to make and how I wanted to decorate them. I finally decided that I was going to make them in the shape of Peeps!
Making these cookies were a lot of fun and really simple. Because I enjoy making sugar cookies so much, I thought that I would share my sugar cookie and royal icing recipes.
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Rolling Pin
- Plastic Wrap
- Cookie Cutter
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat unsalted butter and sugar until mixed well. Mix in egg, then mix in vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in flour mixture (one cup at a time) until dough is formed.
- Roll dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Place dough in refrigerator for 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, roll it out and cut out your cookies.
- Align parchment paper on baking sheets and place your cookies on it.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow your cookies to cool and decorate them with icing!